image of two people on a beach

What to do when hearing aids get wet

Contributed by Audika

1/12/2021 12:00:00 AM • 2 min to read

As the mercury rises, people become more aware of staying hydrated and being sun safe. However, if you’re a hearing aid wearer, there are extra precautions you should take to protect them. If you’ve rushed out into the surf and accidentally left your hearing aid in, find out what to do when hearing aids get wet.

Try to keep them dry

Prevention is the best medicine. If you’re visiting the beach or your local pool, remember to remove your hearing aid before you dive into the water. Take extra care with your hearing aid around sandy spots and in extreme heat — sand, dust and heat can also damage it. Place your hearing aid somewhere safe, enclosed and dry.

It's a good idea to carry a waterproof case or container with you if you’re planning on visiting your favourite Summer spots. Stash one in your car, boat, or bag — any place where you can easily access it if you need.

What to do when hearing aids get wet

So you’ve jumped into the water and suddenly realised you're still wearing your hearing aids. Don’t panic! If they do happen to get wet, remove them immediately and turn them off.

Take out the battery and allow the battery compartment to dry out fully overnight. Gently shake to try and dislodge any water. Carefully wipe the case and inside the battery door with a soft, absorbent cloth — this is especially important for salty water, to reduce the risk of corrosion. Use a hearing aid dehumidifier case or drying capsules, if available, to help soak up any remaining moisture.

We don’t recommended resorting to quick drying methods — like using a hairdryer — as excessive heat could result in further damage.

Once your hearing aid is dry, replace with a new battery and test that it’s working. If your hearing aid is still not working as it should be, bring it into your local Audika clinic and a hearing care expert will happily take a look.

If you need more information on what to do when hearing aids get wet, book an appointment, call 1800 340 631 or visit your local Audika clinic for advice.

Request an apppointment


New and used button/coin batteries are hazardous and should be kept away from children. Button/coin batteries can cause serious injuries if swallowed or placed inside any part of the body. Seek medical attention immediately if this is suspected.  The Australian Poisons Information Centre can be contacted 24/7 on 13 26 11 for fast, expert advice.